SPOKEN LANGUAGES : French, English, Spanish.
FREE tours of property and wine tasting on appointment.
The Roland family is happy to welcome you into their wine estate ! Visit the different vineyards, the winery and the castle Beyzac.
The castle Beyzac is currently undergoing renovation. Learn about its amazing past :
The area on which the castle was built was occupied by Gallo-Romans since the Antiquity. In 1814, the marquis de Camiran found walls of a Gallo-Roman villa as he was planting vines.
The village Beyzac is mentionned in different maps since the XVIIth century. But it is only on the map of Cassini and the one of Belleyme (XVIIIth century) that you can see the castle Beyzac drawn. This is the property of the family de Camiran.
The marquis de Camiran, member of the deputy chambers in Bordeaux, built or modified the castle around the years 1750. The architect is unknown, but it could have been Brothier or Alary (he built the gallery for the organ in the church Saint-Michel in Bordeaux) ; both architects of the marquis at the time.
In 1771, the estate of Beyzac is described as such :
"a place in the parish of Vertheuil and Saint-Estèphe in médoc called Beyzac which consists of a house for the cellar master, vat, vines, meadows and woods [estimated 15000 livres]" (departemental archives of Gironde)
In 1793, the republican monitoring comity of Lesparre used the castle as a prison. .A housekeeper and six guards settled in to monitor the prisonners.
The baron de Pichon-Longeville, mayor of Pauillac, and the mother of Romain Dupérier de Larsan, poet, were detained here. The poet wrote about it in one of his poem Les Verrous révolutionnaires :
« J'arrive à jeun, à pied, dans ce fatal Beyzac,
(I arrived on a empty belly, by foot, in this fatal Beyzac)
Prison où l'appétit désole l'estomac ;
(Prison where the appetite afflicts the stomach)
C'est là, c'est dans ces murs qu'on vit nos Médoquines
(This is here, in those walls that live our Medoquines)
Invoquer l'Eternel par vêpres et matines,
(calling the Eternel by vespers and matins)
Chacune espère, attend que dans ce vieux Château
(everyone hope, waiting in this old castle)
L'on donne, pour sortir, un arrêté nouveau. »
(that we give, to go out, a new decree)
The 26 Brumaire of an II - 16th november 1793 - the estate of Beyzac which belongs to the « emigrant Majance-Camiran », is sold as a national asset and bought by the "widow Camiran".
In the XIXth century, several people owned the castle : Jacques-Henri Wüstenberg, a merchant and influent political man, his son-in-law Emile Bosc and later, Henri Nathaniel Brown de Colstoun (from the Colstoun family in Scotland).
The castle was rebuilt during the years 1860s. The estate of Beyzac is then mentionned by Féret (wine book family editors) as the biggest one in the area. In 1868, he Château Beyzac produced 480 barrels of wine.
One of the most intriguing part in the castle is the dovecote, which was used as awater tower.
During many years the caslte and the par are abandonned and the interiors destroyed.
The Roland family bought the domain in 1998. They transplanted the vines around the castle and are renovating the outbuildings.